"The most beautiful makeup for a woman is passion but cosmetics are easier to buy."
French haute couture (high fashion) designer Yves Saint Laurent
Hello friends, must admit this has been one of the most challenging articles to write so far. What with the abundance of beauty across the length and breadth of this nation…….. dark locks, doe eyes, fathomless Indian beauties who are not just beautiful but true beauty with brains……… India is one such land which epitomizes the concept of Beauty With Brains.
……. After days of thinking, I would take this opportunity to share with you OUR list of most stylish Indian women…. Having said this, let me reiterate that there ARE millions of beautiful women out there who deserve this place but we had to boil down to ONLY ten names… so you can understand how difficult this must have been for us. A deliberate attempt was made to abstain from including a few names like HRH Rajmata Gayatri Devi, Madhubala, Madhuri Dixit etc., they are style icons and will always remain so… there have been thousands of surveys and articles in which they have emerged as clear winners and will remain to be style icons for millions of us as long as the Sun shines !! The idea is to bring to the forefront some of those women who have a flair for style and is a natural ……. Who create their own style statement with not just their looks, but with their attitude and passion to live…. We salute these Indian beauties !!!
The list is random and does not follow a 1st, 2nd or 3rd format……..
- Arundhati Roy | Indian novelist. She won the Booker Prize in 1997 for her novel, The God of Small Things, and has also written two screenplays and several collections of essays. Her writings on various social, environmental and political issues have been a subject of major controversy in India.
Her curly locks and her calm ever smiling composure have drawn millions to her over a period of time. Mostly dressed in cotton and handloom fabrics, her style factor comes across in her minimalistic approach towards her wardrobe and her strong personality!
2. Indira Gandhi | She was an Indian politician and the leader of the Indian National Congress. She was the third Prime Minister of the Republic of India for three consecutive terms from 1966 to 1977 and for a fourth term from 1980 until her assassination in 1984, a total of fifteen years. Gandhi was the first female prime minister to hold the office and remained as the world's longest serving female Prime Minister as of 2011
Noted for her charismatic authority and political astuteness, Gandhi adhered to Saris. Her salt and pepper hair style, sharp features and crisp personality added to her charm and command for respect. She had this super stylish side to her which prompted her to combine a beautiful silk saree with an absolute couture over coat during her frequent visits abroad and she looked every bit the style conscious woman that she was. Today, decades later, one gets to see slight images of her in her grand daughter Priyanka Gandhi Vadra.
3. Nandita Das | She is an award-winning Indian film actress and director. As an actress, she is known for her performances in movies like Fire, Earth, Bawandar and Aamaar Bhuvan. As a director, she is known for her directorial debut Firaaq, which has won a number of national and international awards. She has been awarded the Chevalier of the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres by the Government of France for her work
In a sea of haute couture evening gowns and suits worth millions, it sure takes a lot of confidence to walk the Cannes Film Festival Red Carpet in a simple gold bordered silk saree and team it up with matching Indian jewelry. That’s creating a style statement never seen before. An Indian beauty who epitomizes the saying ‘beauty is skin deep’. Always seen in clothes which complements HER rather than SHE trying to complement the clothes. Her sharp features and her dusky complexion adds on to her charm and elegance….. we love you Nandita for your non compromising attitude .. you rock !
4. Sarika | She was born into a Maharashtrian family in New Delhi, India, and became an acclaimed National Award winning Indian actress. In an era where beauties with light eyes were not much preferred , Sarika broke the norms and became a household name for every thinking audience with her soulful performances. Another Indian beauty who always believed that ‘less is more’. Never really caught wearing anything loud, over the top or garish, her style statement was silky brown mane, light eyes, a flawless complexion and clothes that spelt class. Black is her favorite color and she loves linen, be it a skirt, a shirt or a pair of pajamas, she is most comfortable in fabrics that spell class and comfort. Make Up is something she always preferred to stay away from and only went in for the basic.
5. Rekha | An Indian actress whose career spanned over a period of more than four decades and 180 films. A style diva who reinvented herself over and over again and has been papparazzi’s favorite celebrity since the 1970s. Heavy Kanjeevaram silk sarees teamed with exotic Indian jewelry, red lips, long lashes and extremely well shaped eye brows marked Rekha’s presence. Her chiseled features and sexy voice added to her style quotient.
6. Suchitra Sen | She is an Indian actress who acted in several Bengali films. She now lives a life of a recluse rarely making any public appearances. Her tall frame, her million dollar smile, her heavily kohl lined eyes, her high neck blouses (which every style conscious Indian lady aped and referred to as the ‘Suchitra Sen neckline blouse’), her style of wearing an over coat with a saree and look every inch the true Indian style Diva has been her style statement….. !!
7. Chitrangada Singh | An Indian actress, born to an Army family and married to Indian Golfer Jyoti Randhawa. We noticed her for her naturally dusky complexion, sexy voice, her envious jaw line and those piercing eyes which she knows how to use to her abilities. Probably she is aware of her plus points and her sharp features and may be that’s why she prefers to keep her wardrobe very basic and simple. She wears colors that complements and brightens up her honey complexion. She mostly leaves her hair loose and prefers to stick to the no make up look. She is a girl who looks comfortable in anything that she wears, be it a white lace top and a pair of denims or a pair of ankle length skirts with a cotton shirt.
8. Sushmita Sen | The fiesty bong bombshell and the youngest ever Miss India to bring home the Miss. Universe crown, a single mom and a doting daughter to her parents. Her vivacious personality coupled with that 5ft9in frame is a killing combination. Free flowing silky mane, a no make up look, a super confident poise has been her mantra of style. We like her for her million dollar GENUINE smile which reflects in her warm eyes. She is somebody who the masses feel confident approaching and we think she should have started a talk show of her own on the lines of The Oprah Winfrey Show. Would love to see her interact with people and bring that smile on their face with her warmth.
9. Zeenat Aman | She is an Indian actress who catapulted to fame with her portrayal of a Montreal returned Indian hippie who lives her life on her own terms. She is the first Indian actress who showed the Indian audience how to get bold in style. Her clothes took the plunge and how !!... the Indian audience were left gasping for more. She became an addiction too strong to get away from! Her knotted shirts with plunging necklines, her smooth and silky jet black hair and that innocent smile rocked the nation. She was a natural and looked every bit comfortable in anything that she wore. Her body language and her frame was cut out for the most revealing of western outfits but her strong point was that she NEVER looked vulgar……. Be it the role of the hippie girl from the 1971 blockbuster Hare Rama Hare Krishna or the role of the simple village belle in the movie Satyam Shivam Sundaram, she essayed both the roles with such oomph and glamour that India woke up to a whole new saga of style and sensuality like never before…..
10. Anushka Shankar | She is the daughter of Indian sitar player Pandit Ravi Shankar and Sukanya Shankar. Through her father, she is the half-sister of Norah Jones. Now what do we say about her? She is blessed with looks which spell ‘style’. Whether she wears a pair of denims and a vest or a saree and trinkets, she seems to blend into them in perfect unison. She HAD to feature in our list of most stylish Indian women !!!......